Wednesday, November 2, 2016

I love Birth Photography | Hampton Roads Birth Photographer



 I love photographing birth.

I feel privileged to be invited to sit in on such an intimate moment, watching, observing and capturing two people as they prepare to bring a brand new tiny human into the world.





As a birth photographer I start getting excited when I go on call.  My on call time is two weeks before and after the Estimated Due Date. Which means never traveling more than an hour away or committing to anything I can’t get out of  quickly.






Each night I run through my check list

 Clothes laid out? Check
At least half a tank of gas? Check

Cell phone charged? Check
Travel chargers charged? Check

Batteries charged? Check
SD cards ready? Check
Camera bag packed with snacks, water and camera equipment? Check. Check. Check.


I love the anticipation as each day passes and the EDD approaches. The constant checking of my cell phone, just in case I missed the loud ringer I have for my expectant mom.  I even have my kids call me several times just to make sure my phone is working.



Then it happens, the call from my new mom comes and she is in active labor. I do my best to remain calm and not speed to where she will bring this tiny human into the world, but I am so excited to witness and capture forever the birth of this precious little one.



Upon arrival I watch and try and capture every little thing that makes each birth different, capture the relationships in the room, capture her strength as she works to bring her baby into the world.




When the baby arrives its as if a large glass jar of joy has broken. The smiles, the tears, the laughter.



When it is time to go, I feel like I’m riding a roller coaster of emotions. The adrenaline and endorphins push out the exhaustion from being awake for hours and on my feet.




I tell myself, I will go home and crawl into bed but I end up making a strong cup of Dominican coffee and look for at least one or two sneak peaks I can share before I crawl under the covers. I can always catch up on my sleep tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...