When people enter our home one of the first things they say
is how warm, and inviting our home is. I always thought this was strange
because we lived very simply. Most of our furniture was hand me downs (and not
even the nice hand me downs). What little new furniture we had was very simple
and plain. When I kept hearing this over and over I started observing the
differences between my home and other homes and I discovered the reason why.
Family Photographs.
When I was around six years old, my mom, two sisters and I moved in with my
maternal grandparents. My Grandma Rebecca
loved photographs. She had a family wall of photographs in the family room where tons of 8 x10 photographs hung on the wall. There were individual photographs of her parents and her 11 bothers and sisters, and
my Grandpa Johnny’s parents and his 13 brother’s and sisters. The wall held wedding photos of her parents, her siblings and my personal favorite, the wedding photo taken outside her little one room house with my grandfather. There were photos of my grandparents as a young engaged couple, her as a young mom, photos of my many uncles in uniform during war time and my Uncle Nay in his Pacific Coast League Padre uniform. There were photos of the
families in large groups and small. I loved how the smaller groups gave you an insight
of their individual relationships.
This family wall of pictures mesmerized me, and the many
visitors who came into our home. The house was a historical site and visitors
always wanted a tour. They would ask my Grandma Rebecca about who the people
were and she would name each person and tell a little of their story. Some
stories were funny, some sad and some inspiring. I felt like I knew these
family members personally even though I had never met some of them, they were a
big part of my life just the same. When
my great aunts and uncles would visit and linger at the dinner table and tell
stories of when they were younger I could immediately picture them in my head
because of the photograph on the wall.
I knew when I grew up I wanted a wall like the one my Grandma
Rebecca had in our home. I knew I wanted my future children to see pictures of
their aunts, uncles, and grandparents as young individuals so they could
picture them in their mind when they heard the stories around the dinner table.
And now as visitors come into our home
they are intrigued with the many family photographs on our wall. They ask about each
individual and I find myself telling stories just like my Grandma Rebecca did
so long ago. Even though she has passed I still feel a connection to her when I
look at my family wall, or when I look through old photographs. I can hear her
telling the stories. Thank you Grandma for sharing with me your passion so I
could make it mine. I love you and miss you deeply.





No comments:
Post a Comment