Saturday, September 1, 2012

Click it Up a Notch: August

I think I'm in love! I love taking pictures of my son playing basketball. Every year I buy something new to help me improve my chances of a good shot. A camera which can handle noise a little better, a new lens (or 2, or 3). I must admit some guilt would always come with each purchase, even though I was using birthday or Christmas money, how could I justify spending so much money when he only has x amount of years left to play? 

The story starts in March when my sister, who is studying to be a midwife asked if I would photograph a home birth. What?! I was very hesitant, I had never done one before and didn't even know if I could capture the pictures in such horrible lighting. I mean basketball gyms are bad but who are we kidding. Then I started thinking about what a great opportunity it would be. Ever since my sister had her own home birth 10.5 years ago I have been trying to see another birth. Imagine how disappointed I was to find out I couldn't commit because my son had a huge basketball tournament and we would be out of town. But the damage was done. I couldn't stop thinking about capturing a birth. I started doing research but had no idea how to approach friends who were pregnant. I am part of a facebook group where younger women can ask questions of older experienced moms. So I decided to add a post stating I was interested in capturing a birth and if anyone was interested let me know.

I almost couldn't stand not checking facebook on an hourly basis. And then there it was, my daughter's former ballet teacher said she was interested! Fast forward, I get a text around 1245am stating they are heading to the hospital. I am so nervous and praying the whole way. What was I thinking?! I couldn't do this, what if all the pictures came out horrible? After 6 hours of laboring in the hospital a beautiful baby girl was born and 700 pictures were taken (come on, it was my first time and I was afraid of missing something, and she had like 20 visitors within 2 hours of the baby being born). I was in love! Not only did I get to see the miracle of birth but I also experienced this couple's amazing love and support for each other. 

Yes, I'm in love, this is what I'm meant to do. I know it's not picture perfect, highlights are blown, it's noisy and tilted (I tried straightening it but I didn't like the way it looked) but I think the moment was captured.





Click It Up A Notch

Ni Hao Yall

7 comments:

  1. love your black and white processing. congratulations and great capture!! what an amazing opportunity for you capture this special time in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! I love all of them (I looked through the other ones in the post below...hope you don't mind!). What a special moment, and you captured it so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Don't mind at all, Thanks for looking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...