Saturday, August 6, 2011

I learned

At Click It Up A Notch she challenged us to show our progress by showing one of our first photos shot in manual and than  show a more recent photo shot in manual.

I took this picture during the alumni game at the beginning of the season in November 2010. This was the first time I decided to shoot in manual other than the two or three pics that I had taken of some apples just to see the difference when I changed ISO, f stop, etc.  I had started taking some basketball pictures during my son's games that summer so I was just starting to become familiar with taking sports pictures.

NOVEMBER 2010

Camera model:NIKON D40
Focal length:18 mm
Focal length (35mm):27 mm
Max lens aperture:f/3.5
Exposure:1/100 at f/5.6
Flash:Not fired
Exposure bias:0 EV
Exposure mode:Manual
Exposure prog.:Manual
ISO speed:ISO 1600
Metering mode:Pattern



I took this picture during the final tournament of the season.


MARCH 2011

Camera model:NIKON D40
Focal length:18 mm
Focal length (35mm):27 mm
Max lens aperture:f/3.5
Exposure:1/100 at f/3.5
Flash:Not fired
Exposure bias:0 EV
Exposure mode:Manual
Exposure prog.:Manual
ISO speed:ISO 1600
Metering mode:Pattern


Some of the things I learned during the basketball season:

  1. Take pictures during warm up to check lighting
  2. Frame pictures more carefully.  
  3. Look to tell a story. Even though most of the pictures are action shots look for those shots that tell a story of the individual or team.
Things I would like to improve

  1.  Frame pictures more carefully
  2. Take more pictures with a purpose.  Instead of just shooting with a continuous high shutter release and going through hundreds of photos after the game, I would like to capture the one great picture in the sequence.
  3. Learn how to get more light into my less with less noise.
I recently upgraded to a Nikon D90 and I'm hoping I can get the 85mm 1.4 lens within the next year.  Photoshop is also on my wish list, but for now I will be happy with iphoto.





Click it Up a Notch

4 comments:

  1. I love how you were able to get such a great set of photos for comparison! You have learned great lessons, and have great goals! I find sports photography to be such a challenge! I will be honest, I don't even know what some of your settings mean, lol. But if you would like the settings for my photos I can email them to you if you send me your email address... I just have to go find them, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great lessons you've learned!! I love the idea of checking your settings during warm up!! I like the angle of your second shot! Definitely tells a story! Thanks for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just copied the info off of my zenfolio site which gave me all that info. I was in a rush so i didn't bother to edit out some of the categories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great to look back and see how much you've learned and improved? Truthfully though, these are both great shots.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...